Tuesday, July 13, 2010


I got an email from a friend a few weeks back about watering plants with water that had been boiled in the microwave vs. on the stove then cooled down. The pictures in the email showed 2 of the same type and sized plants. One had been watered with the microwaved water and the other with the stove water. After several days ( forget the time frame), the pictures showed the microwave-water plant all shriveled and dying. The text in the email claimed that the microwave killed the water or something like that. 

My friend asked me what I thought and I just happened to have access to 2 similar-sized tomato plant seedlings. (Thanks Tammy!) I said, "I don't know, but let's find out!"

I took the plants to my friend Linda's house and began the experiment. I did actually take pictures and send them to my first friend about every 2-4 days. 

After almost 2 weeks, the plants were both thriving and ready to be transplanted into larger pots!

So, I'm concluding that water boiled in a microwave and cooled down is just as good to water plants with as water boiled on the stove. I don't know what else it means, but the plants both did well.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome! Also glad to know that microwave doesn't damage water. That would be pretty scary.